Sunday 10 February 2019

Fully Finished Gallery SAL

Today I am joining Rachel for the Fully Finished Gallery SAL with a completed item from my Dreaded Drawer.

 I don´t really have very many unfinished embroideries as I don´t start stitching anything unless I know what I am going to make but then there are those adulterated patterns that don´t turn out as hoped because yours faithfully started chopping and changing thread colours and therefore the unsatisfied result gets put to rest in the aforesaid drawer.


The below embroidery was done a couple of years ago and now I don´t know where I found the pattern. I ordered blue fabric from the internet to which I took an instant dislike due to its stiff scratchy feeling and the colour next to a pretty blue looked almost grey.


I stitched the tiny heart (between the two birds) with silver thread which when completed didn´t convince me and the birds didn´t have eyes for some reason, so everything got scrapped.

With the Fully Finished SAL in mind, I rescued the embroidery and while still dithering about the colour of the little heart, started backing the piece and adding a blanket stitch surround done with white perlé Nº 8.


I found a suitable edging although it had to be made separately and added afterwards to the blanket stitch. For this crochet, I used a finer thread - perlé Nº 12, my favourite.




The silver heart was changed to a red one and although I tried seed beads for the birds´ eyes, they looked too big, so the poor things still can´t see very well.


Well, at least this embroidery has been completely finished thanks to this new SAL, so I do encourage everyone who has uncompleted stitching to join Rachel at Ten Hour Stitcher, 
 Until next week     
Sheryl


32 comments:

  1. This looks really lovely! I have seen the pattern on pinterest. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have finished it beautifully! The crochet edging is stunning and the red heart really makes it seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the SAL pushed you to finish this piece. You have a great eye for finishing projects. The crochet edging is beautiful.
    I'm like you I dont start a project until I know what its gonna be used for-most of them are gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out well in the end - and I do like your crochet lace edging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crochet edging is gorgeous!!! What a beautiful finish and I just love the change to the red heart. I can't wait to see your next rescue from your dreaded drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by following Rachel's link up. What a beautiful finish!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All is well that ends well! It would have been a pity not to finish this lovely embroidery. The crochet lace is absolutely gorgeous, Sheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished piece is really very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so pretty and delicate looking, amazing what you can think of when you see an old project another time. You did a great job rescuing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a dainty and delicate finish - I love the crocheted lace edge! Changing the hart to red has made all the difference, I think (well, that and giving the little birds eyes) - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful finish! The red heart definitely looks so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the crochet edging you added, and the red heart adds some lovely contrast! I like my little birds with eyes too but a lot of patterns seem to omit any for some reason. The beads you sprinkled in look lovely too, beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful finish! I'm glad you finally got it out of the drawer and did something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you pulled this stitch out and rescued it to it's current beauty. I love how you finished it. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sheryl,
    A great finish - with the crochet lace it looks really classy, and the red heart fits much better to the whole motif.
    Hugs Martina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for taking part in the SAL. Your finish is absolutely stunning and, as others before me have said, the changes and the border are perfect. Even the addition of a few scattered beads makes such a difference. I'm so glad you felt encouraged to rescue this from your Dreaded Drawer and not continue to let it get the better of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I have said it before but I think that dreaded drawer of yours has many gorgeous finds hiding inside. You have turned this sweet little embroidery into an exquisite pretty, Sheryl. Love, love, love the crochet edging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful finish with the lace border.
    The red heart is better than the silver one.
    Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty. The crochet lace is such a beautiful element to your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so beautiful, and it does look so much better with the red heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another pretty stitchery Sheryl made special by your lovely crochet border. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love your heart , really beautiful.
    Enjoy a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It turned out beautiful! I just love the edging.

    Congrats on rescuing this piece from the DD and making it a FFO!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's very pretty and dainty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The red heart, the beads, and the crochet edging finished the piece beautifully!
    I’ve been crocheting lately and now you’ve inspired me to look again at one or two of my “not quite finished pieces”!
    What a wonderful finish, Sheryl!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I remember that freebie--I always thought it was so pretty! Really love the red heart that you stitched in place of the silver one, too, Sheryl. And your crocheted border is exquisite. Well done on finishing up an older project :)

    Hope February is going well for you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job. You are so very talented with crocheting the border.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I never thought to combine stitching with a crochet edge - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful edging! I like thinner thread for crocheting too. Tatting thread is very dainty and the little spools are adorable! I imagine your Dreaded Drawer is actually a wonderland of beautiful stitches so it'll be fun to see them come out in light of this SAL. A lot of bird stitches seem to omit the eyes! I guess it's because they are so small.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...